The FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Vienna 2017 Drawing of Lots will take place in Porec, Croatia, at 10.30am on Saturday, July 1, 2017, during the Porec Major series event.
There are two Drawing of Lots for the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Vienna 2017.
The first is conducted to determine the pool composition for the tournament while the second will be conducted after the pool phase.
DRAWING OF LOTS TO DETERMINE POOL COMPOSITION
The “pre-draw placement” for each of the 96 teams (48 men and 48 women) competing in the 2017 FIVB World Championships is based on each pair’s points 35 days (June 23, 2017) prior to the Vienna event as a tandem’s best six of eight finishes on the FIVB World Tour over a 365-day period are used to determine their “technical entry” points.
- The top 12 seeded teams are seeded in the 12 pools in accordance to their respective seeding points.
- Four draws are held to fill out the second, third and fourth position in each pool.
- Each team will play three matches pool play match and, as host country, no Austrian teams will be in the same group.
The four draws will be conducted as follows:
- Draw 1: From seeding 13 to seeding 18, in accordance with seeding points, to pools G-L
- Draw 2: From seeding 19 to seeding 24, in accordance with seeding points, to pools A-F
- Draw 3: From seeding 25 to seeding 36, in accordance with seeding points, to pools A-L
- Draw 4: From seeding 37 to seeding 48, in accordance with seeding points, to pools A-L
The top two pairs in each pool will advance directly to the 32-team elimination bracket along with the four best third-place duos based on match points, set-point ratios and rally-point ratios. A “Lucky Loser" round for the teams ranked fifth through 12th will be played with the four winners advancing to the elimination bracket.
DRAWING OF LOTS FOR THE SINGLE ELIMINATION PHASE
For the bracket phase of the Vienna competition, there will be a draw to place each team in the bracket based on their pool standings with the 12 pool winners being seeded No. 1 to No. 12, and the third-place finishers, including the Lucky Losers being seeded No. 25 through No. 32. The second-place finishers in each pool will be seeded No. 13 through No. 24.